Dreams Do Come True

Ferris Bueller was so right -

Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

My life has been busy, so I've done a horrible job at blogging. BUT NOW I HAVE SOMETHING FABULOUS TO WRITE ABOUT- The proposal at Disney World!

*Warning* This post could make others nauseous with the overwhelming amount of cuteness and romanticness (is that even a word? Is now.) Read at your own risk. But really, you should read. Because it's cute. And I said so.

It all started back in January when Brandon drove to my parents house to tell them the news and ask for their permission. Immediately my parents asked how they could help. Minutes later, my mom brings out my Grandma Irene's engagement ring and tells him she'd be honored if he could somehow use it. After weeks of Brandon e-mailing my mom, he had the proposal all figured out.

Just look at that cheesy smile!
My mom put the ring in her purse the night before we left for Disney. My dad had asked her about 50 times that day where her purse was and wouldn't let it leave his sight. After a VERY long day at Disney, it was time to watch the fireworks. There was a slight problem. We were on the opposite side of the castle where Brandon wanted the special moment to happen. Dad comes up with a plan and says we need to move to the other side of the castle so we can be closer to Space Mountain to ride it after the show. So we all snake our way through the crowed street. We end up near the entrance of the rose garden. My dad tells me this is the perfect spot because he's always wanted to watch Tinker Bell zipline from the castle. I just thought my dad was being silly and I actually took a picture of him while making fun of him. Little did I know there was a better reason for being there....I figured we were watching the fireworks because this was Brandon's first time to Disney World. Usually the Shaffer's skip the fireworks because the lines for the rides are shorter and we take advantage of that. I figured since we were watching the show I might as well enjoy the moment and take a few pictures. While I'm snapping away, Mom hands Brandon the ring. You see, the original plan was to propose during the firework show. Brandon realized with the amount of people and lack of light, that could be a little tricky.

So the firework show is over, and guess what I do. I take off for Space Mountain. Call me crazy, but that's the whole reason we were over there. Haha, geesh Ashlyn...almost ruin the moment. I notice no one is following, so I turn around and Brandon comes up to tell me the family wants to get some pictures in front of the castle. Ok, let's be honest here. In my mind I'm thinking, "WHY DID WE NOT DO THIS EARLIER TODAY! WE NEED TO GO RIDE SPACE MOUNTAIN NOW OR ELSE WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT IN LINE FOREVER!!!!!" But I calmly say, "ok" and walk over to the rose garden. I notice my mom is talking to the photographer's assistant. Honestly, I just thought it was to tell them about all of the pictures we want and just to put them on one card. So it's our turn to get the picture taken. Brandon and I head up and I turn around because I think my family is following. So I say something about the family picture. Leave it to my sister, Meg, to start to come up. My dad reaches his arm on her shoulder and yanks her back. Ok, so no to a family picture right now...

After we get a few shots of us standing at the castle, I'm ready for a family shot. Then Brandon says, "Ashlyn, I have something for you."


I'm thinking OMG OMG OMG OMG NO..WAIT...IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING...IS THIS REAL LIFE?
Yes, yes it's real life Ashlyn. 

If you know anything about me at all, it should be no surprise that I cried. And the photographer managed to catch all of the lovely crying shots. All of them.
And I'm pretty sure the appropriate caption is, "YES YES just put that ring on my finger!"


And we finally get the picture I had tried so hard to get from the beginning.

And they lived happily ever after....

Of course I had to add the ending in there! It's so appropriate. And this moment in my life was so perfect...even though I almost ruined it multiple times. And guess what we did right after the proposal? I'm sure many of you are thinking she finally gets to ride Space Mountain!! No. I didn't even get to ride Space Mountain. Why you ask? Because the line was too long. Am I upset? Not even slightly because that "slight delay" was so worth it. But in typical Shaffer style, we get in line for more rides! And we take pictures of us in line, and even on the ride. Because I still can't believe this moment happened.

Look at our cute buttons!



On the Toy Story ride. Instead of shooting Zurg, I looked at my ring



So folks, that's the story. That's how it all happened. And no, we haven't decided on a date yet. But yes, we've already started thinking of ideas for the wedding.
So let's let the craziness of wedding planning begin! I'm sure this is going to be quite a journey...

Comments

  1. YAAAAAY I love this! :) Congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you and Brandon! My wish for you is that you have a happy marriage, long life together and many wonderful memories to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your very magical moment with us! We have known from the beginning (the sweet little romance that started at the announcers table during the goat show) that this day would come and we are so very happy for both of you! Congratulations

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Creativity Has Returned!

I DID IT! Last PL 2013 Post