Breast Cancer Awareness

Last night while watching the news, I caught the end of a story about a school banning the "I <3 boobies" bracelets and some kid's dad is suing the school. When I started listening to the story, I thought this was ridiculous. Seriously, you're suing because your 12 year old boy was told not to wear a bracelet that says "I <3 boobies". Then I found out it was the high school in my hometown. Regardless of having a connection to the school or not, my opinion did not change. I felt I needed to let out how I felt about this news story because most people are supporting the kid and the bracelets. Since no one ever reads my blog, I figured this is the best place to let it out.

I have a close relationship with anything to do with breast cancer awareness. My grandmother was a breast cancer survivor. I do whatever I can to help support, but there are some places where I draw the line. I don't know why, but I have always found the bracelets to be ridiculous (I want to say obscene, but that's a little too harsh..maybe foolish works best). To me, "boobies" makes light of the situation. "Boobies" is what kids say and giggle. Breast cancer is a serious disease that has effected thousands and thousands of women. It is not something to label with a childish word.

Most people are supporting the lawsuit because the child was supporting breast cancer awareness. Ok...while that is true, think of how many other ways there are to show your support. Most of the children that are wearing these "I <3 boobies" bracelets are wearing them because "it's the new thing" and because they can wear the word "boobies" around. I find it rare that the kids are wearing them to truly support breast cancer awareness. I mean, I guess at least children are being informed about the cancer, but is this how we want them to learn?

I know there are people out there who won't agree with what I have to say. And that's life. Now the kid in the lawsuit claimed he wasn't able to use his freedom of speech...so let me use it for you: Your dad decided to fight for you to wear a bracelet. Why don't you go and support the cause some other way. Let's hope if you win the battle and money, you'll donate it.
image

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be My Bridesmaid?!

I DID IT! Last PL 2013 Post

Project Life Core Kit- Help, I'm Addicted.