It's Time.

Holy cow. I have been slacking big time with my blog.
So I was sitting here trying to think about what to write about today. As soon as I got to my office, I had a huge stack of cards to sign for our seniors in the office. Then I noticed all of the Facebook and Twitter post about graduation or ending another year. Then it hit me. A blog about graduation.
It's hard to believe that just a year ago I was finishing up my last semester of college. It seemed like just a year prior to that I was saying goodbye to my family, unpacking my belongings in Cravens Hall and starting my freshman year. My how times flies. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once and a while, you could miss it. Yes. That is from Ferris Bueller but I had to insert that.
But it's true. I have found that this past year has gone faster than any year yet. And from what I hear, it just gets faster and faster.

Ok, but to last year. I remember getting ready to say goodbye to all the things that had become apart of my life - radio, friends, speech. Even though I was still staying at UIndy, I knew things wouldn't be the same. I just remember thinking how different my life would be and how the littlest things seemed so important.

Here are some of the things I've been able to realize in the past year:

It's not about all of the people you are/were friends with. It's all about the people that have remained your friends. Think about it, when you're in college you see these people all the time. What matters is who you decide to stay in contact with after. Those are the people you can call your true friends.
It's not about all of the awards you've won. While those are great at boosting your confidence, think about all of the other great things you've done. Have you received an award for most of those? No. I think what is the most important is that you continue to do what you feel is great. Don't only do it just to please other people (or to win an award), do it for yourself.

There will always be another adventure in your life. After high school, college seemed like a pretty big adventure. And it was. But after college you have the adventure of finding a job. And after that job you have the adventure of continuing that same job or looking for a new one. See, there is always an adventure. Although I guarantee that at the time of college graduation the adventure of finding a job seems to be THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVENTURE OF YOUR LIFE. Ok, while in some aspects that may be true, you'll have so many other decisions to make in your life that this isn't life or death. Everything will be ok. I know it may not seem like it sometimes but it will. Just believe in yourself and know that something great is coming you way.

I wish I could say that I learned or realized many of these things before graduation, or even right after graduation, but it did take some time. I think we just get wrapped up in the emotions that we place importance on that small stuff.

I'll leave you with the words I read that got the wheels going for the blog:
Tomorrow is a blank page, just waiting to be filled with your dreams. All you have to do is be yourself and live the story that no one else can live- the story of your own unique life. Be proud. Be confident. And most of all, be happy.
(I really wanted that to sound like my awesome words, but I'll have to give the Hallmark card props for those words!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams Do Come True

My Creativity Has Returned!

I DID IT! Last PL 2013 Post