Saying Yes to the Dress!

Guys, I did. I found my wedding dress!

If you've read any of my blog, you probably remember that I wasn't too excited to go dress shopping. I was nervous. I had no idea what my family would think/say, how the dresses would look, or if I would find anything that looked remotely good on me. And I wanted there to be that big moment, that moment where I knew this was the dress of my dreams...and tears would be shed. And that's almost how it went.

Let's start from the beginning. My sister (aka maid of honor) said she wouldn't be able to make it to our appointment. I was a little sad, but also knew I wasn't going to find my dress that day so it would be ok. My best friend of 25+ years told me she couldn't make it either. Suddenly my list was dwindling down. That left my mom and my future sister-in-law. I knew I didn't want a lot of people to go, but I also knew I needed just one more person to join. And that's where my youngest sister comes in. Thank goodness for Meg.

A little background on Meg- she's a senior in high school and is very, very busy with school and activities. I knew spending a Saturday watching me try on big white dresses was not her idea of a good time. And when my list was shrinking, she stepped up and said she would join. (and I think she had a really good time...)

We arrive at the bridal shop and they are swamped. This young girl awkwardly approaches me and tells me she will be my consultant. After some short, awkward conversation she takes me back to my room. 'This is going to be a long day' I thought.

Now for another side note. I'm not skinny. Not by any means. I'm a full figured, plus size girl and that's why I wasn't looking forward to this experience. I wasn't looking forward to squeezing in to sample dresses that are a 100 sizes too small. (ok I'm not that big, but it feels like it when something it too small!) But luckily we had heard about a plus size dress shop not too far from my hometown. We all agreed this was the place to start- a place where I could fit in the sample sizes.

I had no idea what dress I wanted. Well I had an idea, but I had no idea what looked good on me. NO IDEA. I did know I wanted lace and sleeves. Some type a sleeves was a must for a heavy chested girl.

I  tried on lots of styles of dresses. LOTS OF STYLES. The best part, I fit in to all but 2 of the dresses they brought me to try (darn boobs). And what's even better, most of the sample dresses were too big! HURRAY! I was the smallest girl trying on dresses that day. And that made life more enjoyable.

LONG story short- many dresses were tried on and many hours had passed. I had it narrowed down to 2 dresses.
Dress A had NO sleeves and NO lace.
Dress B has NO sleeves and SOME lace.
Here I thought I wanted sleeves, until I tried on dresses that actually fit my chest.

Now I'm not going to go in to too much detail because I don't want to spoil the surprise for my wedding day. But I will tell you that the dress I decided I almost didn't try on. I thought it looked terrible in the bag. But my clan insisted I give it a try.

When I put the dress on, I didn't have that immediate "THIS IS IT!" feeling. I think I was so shocked that the dress looked way better on than on the hanger. As soon as I walked out Melissa, my future sister-in-law cried. I started noticing people in the shop eying me and my dress.

I was going to go home and sleep on it- think about what dress never left my mind. And then they brought out another color/variation for the dress. At that moment I knew. I knew this was my dress. I looked at my mom for approval and she nodded. I knew it was time to say yes to the dress.

And I did. I said yes. And I cried...and so did Melissa...and so did my mom (who NEVER cries). My sister and I just looked at each other in shock. Not shock of finding a dress, but shock that my mom was crying.

Last side note- one of the brides was watching me and everything I tried on. As soon as I'd hop in the next dress, her consultant would come get the dress I had on for her to try. And guess what dress she bought? My dress. I like to think it's because I made that dress look so darn good.

And that's my story. The story of how I found my dress.

It happened. That magical moment that I had dreamed about. I got to experience it. And it was awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I DID IT! Last PL 2013 Post

Dreams Do Come True

My Creativity Has Returned!