let the wedding madness begin.

So I was never one of those little girls that always dreamed of my wedding like this: a massive princess wedding dress, a horse and carriage bringing me to this massive church, there's lots of glitter, and everything is pink and perfect. Just perfect.

Honestly, I don't know what I thought my wedding would be like when I was younger. I thought it would be fun, I'd look pretty, marry the man I love very much, and eat a lot of cake. And really that sounds like my idea now.

As you know, I've been a DIYer most of my life. So I knew this wedding would be no exception. I knew I wouldn't spend crazy amounts at the florist for flowers. I knew there would be NO wedding planner, that's my job! But I still expected some magic in planning...

...and then comes the part where you try and decide where you want to get married and the date. I honestly thought this would be so much easier than it was. At first I was completely against outdoor weddings. They can beautiful...but....there's that one little word that can ruin your day- rain. Did I really want to leave my potential perfect day up to Mother Nature? Do I really trust her? The answer was no. And then we started looking at other possibilities and suddenly the outdoor wedding didn't seem as bad. (and the price helped a lot too!) And guess what we've decided on? An outdoor wedding. Yes, now I love Mother Nature and trust her 100%. (Or I just keep saying that so she will be nice to me.)

My fiance and I had our date narrowed down to 2 days. He really wanted one and naturally I wanted to other date. Let the games begin again! Luckily this battle was short lived. He told me that either day would be perfect. Now I have a feeling if the weather is crummy on 10.04.14 (the date we decided) I may hear a little from him...so let's hope it's a beautiful day!

Whew. All of that was settled I was really feeling pretty good about it all. I had been in contact with a wedding photographer ever since our engagement in March and I had my heart set on his work. Long story short, we met with the photographer and told him the date we set. He had just booked a wedding that morning for the same day. And we're back to the drawing board.

I've spent so much time researching photographers that I hadn't even thought about my dress. And I think that's due to the fact I knew the dress would not be a magical moment.

My family has their opinions. I like to think I know what looks good and what looks bad on me. But they bring that to an entire different level. My sister is quite the penny pincher. So I know no matter what I try on with her, I'll hear about the price. (Sorry Hailey, but you know it's true!) And then we have my youngest sister. You could tell her she won the lottery and her reaction would be very minimal. And then...there's my mom. She has the strongest opinion of the group. I don't think I need to say any more....

And now I'm starting to think back to my childhood's dream wedding. I wanted to try on "the dress" and get a chill. Get a tear in my eye or maybe a lot of tears. I wanted there to be that spark. That magic. That feeling like you're a princess (even if you're not in a giant ballgown). That feeling that you are truly beautiful and this day will be perfect.

And that's what I still want. I still want all of that. I want the tears the entire family gets when a bride walks out in "the dress" like you see on "Say Yes To The Dress". But deep down, I know I won't get that.

So here's my advice. It's your day. Wear what makes you feel beautiful. Wear what is magical. If you don't feel great in that dress, then how will you feel your wedding day? Chances are your family will grow to love it.

And now that I've just said that, I think it's time for me to go dress shopping. Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams Do Come True

My Creativity Has Returned!

I DID IT! Last PL 2013 Post