My Trip to Ireland- Days 1 & 2

Well clearly you know I made it to Belfast safely. So we'll fast forward to our arrival! We get through the airport in a breeze, but we have to find the bus to take us to the city center. Sounds easy, right? Ha, you thought I was going to say "well it wasn't easy" but that's where you're wrong. It was easy! Mom and I hop on the bus and between my exhaustion and mad hunger, I manage to open my eyes and look out my window. Ok, ok. I know many people have talked about how green Ireland is...but you don't realize how green it is until you experience for yourself. I mean it's fresh, luscious green. (and for those that are wondering, we did see lots of sheep!)

 Fast forward, we arrive at the city center. Next task, call Anne (the lady we're renting the flat from) and let her know we've arrived. Here's where our first adventure comes in: the pay phone. Let's just say after leaving half of a voicemail and finally reach Anne's husband, Anne finally arrives. She greets us with a hug and fresh picked daffodils from her garden. We arrive at the flat and it's a perfect place to stay for a holiday (see what I did there? Throwing in some of the language?! Ohhhh yeahhhh). We just unpack and it's time to meet Hailey. She tells us to meet at "the building that looks like Hogwarts". Lucky for me, as soon as I saw the building I knew that was it. Hailey takes us down to the city center to explore. Before we get to the city center, we have to stop at one of her favorite places to eat Build-a-burger. You could put nearly anything on your burger. And by anything I mean onions to apples, lettuce to gummy bears. My burger had onion fries, sweet chili (Hailey said that's something they're known for), chipotle sauce, cheddar cheese and corn relish. It was delicious. I should also add that build-a-burger was my first run in with a thick Irish accent. I kept asking "what?" and apologizing...but he was nice and understood.

So after I embarrass myself, we head to St. George's Market to explore a popular place where mom buys me a claddagh ring. We then walk down the street just to explore the shops. We hop into shoppes like Lush, Pound World and Primark (I have already told myself that I will buy something from there). We end our day with our grocery shopping to get some food. Needless to say, exhaustion and fatigued started to hit and it was time to head back. Not too long after, I'm asleep on the couch. It's 6pm Belfast time. That's 1pm back home. I did sleep like a rock.

 Now for day 2. This day is not very exciting...but you'll have those. We met up with Hailey and went to church. A guy that goes to the church is originally from our home town but lives in Belfast ( we had never met him before). At church, the man sing like bagpipes. Ok, I know it sounds weird but it was beautiful. Something that was not beautiful that we saw after church, a girls butt. No joke. She was wearing the tiniest skirt I have ever seen and bent over..and..yeah...ok. Moving on. After church, we meet up with some of Hailey's friends and head back to St. George's market to get some cupcakes. The cupcakes here have more of a consistency like muffins, but still yummy! Then we meet up with Haileys friend Jessica, who is from Ireland, and we go to the festival of colours. Sounds exciting, right? Wrong. It was not. I can't even explain what it was like. It was a "festival" to celebrate Indian heritage. Don't get me wrong, it was interesting...but there was nothing to do. Honestly, nothing. We head out and head to Hailey's place to see where she is living. After surviving her smelly room and learning bamboo cotton bags are not meant to carry glass bottles (you can guess what happened to my vodka she wanted to surprise me with) we head back to our flat for dinner. The four of us, Hailey, Jessica, mom and I sit around the table and just laugh. It was great. I also learned that "wee lil" is a veryyyy common phrase here. And it's even better when you hear it was an accent. I also learned these few words: Garbage= rubbage Parking lot= car park Crazy=mad There are a few more, but those are my favorite. Well it's 8pm here, and I am already ready for bed. It's so hard thinking that it's 3pm back home. So far we've had some memories and I'm so ready to make more!

Tomorrow: Giants Causeway and Bushmill distillery. Night world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dreams Do Come True

My Creativity Has Returned!

I DID IT! Last PL 2013 Post